Tuesday, January 15, 2008

READERS UNIT!

YO READERS: 

Do you exist? 

Or am I just shouting out to the movie gods?

Since all but one of my fellow 'Rocketeers' have punked out (I barely even work there, but I dig the joint) 

and though they've said they wanna write stuff  (this one dude is such a big talker about websites and newsletters and shit. The guy doesn’t even work, but really he's just too scared to put himself out there "someone might laugh at my writing".

So I could either say STOP writing too.  There won't be any new pieces... Hey! You know what? Go read...

Well maybe not, I just did a search looks like Vidiots doesn’t have a blog and looks like Cinifile hasn’t updated their blog since November. Hmm, maybe those places could use, well, could use a.... me.


MY POINT:

Please join in and be my ‘blog wing-men’ (and women),,, I so fukin crave.


STORY:

My brother sent me a copy of a crazy John Saxon Italian action-horror flick Cannibal Apocalypse (Margheriti 1980). More about that flick another time (I’m only half way through but it inspired this plea. All I'll say is the flick seems to be pro-cannibalism! The heroes are the cannibals! it's just some fall out from fighting in that bullshit Vietnam war, man. Wow!).

I've now come to grips and realized...

I love crazy Vietnam vet flicks!

From Taxi Driver (Scorcese 1976) and Rolling Thunder (Flynn 1977) and Coming Home (Asby 1978) to First Blood (Kotchheff 1982)  and Thou Shall Not Kill Except (Becker 1985, with a story by Bruce Campbell). I can't get enough oif messed up dudes who saw some shit and it messed with them hard, man.

So I decided I wanna put together...

 THE ULTIMATE CRAZY VIETNAM VET MOVIE LIST

But I need your help. I don’t know enough of the B flicks or the genre period. Any suggestions? 

Let me know, in the comments. Gimmie all the tittles you can find (if the comments are a pain, then email) 

If you have any thoughts or info on the flicks or thoughts about the genre include em.

Or you wanna write your own stories or reviews, send em in. 

We're all in it together,,,

Maybe we can put all the info together and have the ultimate reference page on the subject. 

And who knows? Write a book together, The Guide To Crazy Vietnam Vet Flicks or something.

And hell, it doesn’t just have to be Nam, could expand say any Asian war vets. 

Could include The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer 1962) etc.

So any ideas, no matter how obscure or obvious, get in on this action.


NOTE TO VETS: I’m not trying to dis my bros who fought for the red, white and whatever. You dig, man?

Okay man, for me it wasn’t ‘Nam’. but I’m a Vet of my own thing, my own ‘Nam’ and I wake up in  the middle of the night screaming and I my old lady doesn’t get me to, man. That’s what this list is about Bro. Lets shine some light Bro, on what it is to fight, man, and die for some apple pie, man,and then come home and get called “baby killer” bro. People gotta see, man!  We ain't crazy, man. It's the system, man. (and for the record - I didn’t actually fight for the U.S.. Kinda sorta against actually, but it was a misunderstanding, it's been taken care of. All good now). 


So who’s with me? Ultimate list? Yeah? Join in!

Man, we stopped a war! Let's make a blog thingy!


-sweeneyrules

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some Kind Of Hero-richard pryer

Jeff Miller, Rocket Manager said...

THE EXTERMINATOR with Christopher George

Jeff Miller, Rocket Manager said...

Here's a few more I gleaned from imdb and my head:

BLACKENSTEIN
ANNIHILATORS, THE
CEASE FIRE
COMING HOME
CODE OF VENGEANCE
DALTON: CODE OF VENGEANCE 2
DISTANT THUNDER
DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE
EVICTED
HOUSE (1986)(with William Katt)
JACKNIFE
LIVING WITH UNCLE RAY
LOCK'N'LOAD
MEN AT WORK (1990)
and of course RAMBO!!!!

sweeneyrules said...

Thanks good calls
Gonna try and get a super list together this weekend. Of course with the director and year and any other info for each film.
So instead of just copying other people's lists, wanna confirm the film even exists or has been seen somewhere.
Like do you know what
LIVING WITH UNCLE RAY and LOCK'N'LOAD
even are? Straight to video?
The IMDB lists video games and student films and shit, gonna try and make lists at least theatrical flicks.
But some of these are great calls. Blackenstein!
I had know idea your boy Katt's flick House had a crazy Nam vet. Hilarious.
Also gonna write something this weekend about Actor and Directors that Shoulda died young.
-sweeneyrules

Sean said...

One crazy vet movie that stands out is "The Last Grenade". It stars Stanley Baker (Producer & star of "Zulu" with Michael Caine. He was also in "Guns of Navarone" as the Butcher of Barcelona.) and Alex Cord. It was directed by Gorden Flemyng, who did a great many BBC shows (Dr. Who, The Saint, Lovejoy)"The Last Grenade" is about these two crazy combat vets who a duel to the death. It is a very cynical film.

Another vet film is "Rolling Thunder" starring William Devane and Tommy Lee Jones(who starred in his own crazy vet movie "This Park is Mine").

There is also the B version of "First Blood", if such a thing is possible, called "Ruckus". It stars Dirk Benedict from the "A-Team", so you know it's going to be a power house performance.

Jeff Miller, Rocket Manager said...

We could make "Crazy Nam Vets" the special display for February - fuck that valentine's day shit

Anonymous said...

Living With Uncle Ray is a straight to DVD movie I bought on Filmbaby.com . Very cool little indie film.